Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Full Harvest, C H Spurgeon 2

In the Autobiography of Charles Spurgeon there are quotes that just really make me realize that I must work differently than I am currently working. Think on this one for a while:

"As long as there is breath in our bodies, let us serve Christ; as long as we can think, as long as we can speak, as long as we can work, let us serve him, let us even serve him with our last gasp; and, if it be possible, let us try to set some work going that will glorify him when we are dead and gone. Let us scatter some seed that may spring up when we are sleeping beneath the hillock in the cemetery."

"As for myself, I am compelled to say with solemn truthfulness that I am not content with anything I have ever done. I have half wished to live my life over again, but now I regret that my proud heart allowed me so to wish, since the probabilities are that I should do worse the second time. Whatever grace has done for me I acknowledge with deep gratitude; but so far as I have done anything myself I beg pardon for it. I pray God to forgive my prayers, for they have all been full of fault; I beseech him to forgive even this confession, for it is not as humble as it ought to be; I beseech him to wash my tears and purge my devotions and to baptize me into a true burial with my Saviour, that I may be quite forgotten in myself, and only remembered in him.

What thoughts for you and me. We must leave something to glorify God with after our death.

I also am impressed that even Spurgeon could not or was not satisfied with his own service. But we are taught to realize that we would probably mess it up just as bad the second time.

Vision News
Vision Baptist Church

No comments: