Saturday, October 6, 2007

Good ideas

Well I was just reading a post by Vince Antonucci and he mentioned some of the things that he does in his church that I think have some merit for my ministry. We do not have the same style ministry since I am an independent Baptist but he does make a very valid point in this post. I will quote some and then note what I want us to do in our services at Vision.

... but I would encourage you to wrestle with this and figure out how you need to apply the principle in your setting.....

When you walk in there is music thumping. It feels like a party. All of the songs we play pre-service are secular. Christians disagree with this, but we don’t care because we’re not trying to reach Christians.

When you enter the auditorium and take your seat the same music is cranking, and a series of slides appear on the screen. Some offer helpful information about our church, but more are just goofy. You’ll see strange pictures of strange things, read bizarre facts, laugh at funny graphics.

So we’re now six or seven minutes into the service and nothing especially “spiritual” has happened but hopefully new people are now opened up and ready to experience something spiritual.
....


I think that it is a very good idea that we have very happy music going throughout the entire building when people arrive. We will play godly, Christ honoring music that should set the stage for our services. We do want God's people in our church but I will admit that often our building and services can feel very dead and we need to do away with that.

I do care what Christians think. I more care what God thinks and I will have to do what I feel comfortable doing.

I think that it would be a good idea to have announcements and other slides showing all over the building also. That is a very good idea.

I want to set the stage and the mood and so I want to apply this principle.

Vision News

No comments: