Monday, October 8, 2007

Life of David Brainard

I am listening to a copy of the book Life of David Brainard by Jonathan Edwards and must tell you that it is well worth your time. I am amazed at his desire to please God and to be holy. I know that I want to do the same.

As I listened he told a story that reminded me of one of my failures--sins against almighty God.

He was in the chapel with just his closest friends. One asked what he thought of the prayer of a certain professor. Brainard's response was that he had no more grace on him that the chair. A student overheard the comment and told the faculty. Brainard was called to give an account.

He had said it in confidence to his closest friends but now he was in trouble. He would eventually get kicked out of the school and never allowed to return.

When confronted he reacted far differently than I have been known to react. He said that true or not he had no right to talk about a person of superior position than his. He recognized that he had sinned against God and would willing confess so in front of others thought it was said in private.

He realized that he should not speak badly about others.

God dealt with my heart. I have often said things that I should not have said. They are not mine to judge. Though as Brainard said things might be taken out of context and made to sound worse than they were intended it was still wrong and a sin.

I hope that I have learned my lesson from my own experience and the chance to listen to this book.

Vision News

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Bro. Austin,
Here is a blog you might be interested in.

http://davidbrainerd.blogspot.com/

You may already know about it, but I thought I would pass it along.

Bro. Shane

Austin Gardner said...

Thank you so much for the blog. I will be checking it out